BLITBW-logo-nohands.jpg

InSync Training's founder Jennifer Hofmann authors Body Language in the Bandwidth, an active conversation focused on connecting, collaborating and succeeding in the modern classroom.

5 Steps to More Useful Webinars Using Microlearning & Social Networks

Posted by Jennifer Hofmann

Feb 24, 2017 12:15:00 PM

Access Complete Modern Blended Learning Blog Series and Subscribe

50149436_s.jpgWhen we introduce a new topic, we often start with a webinar. The ubiquitous technology and common virtual classroom delivery format seems to be an easy way to engage, and teach, a large audience in a short time.

We know the webinar format has its challenges. Generally, potential learners enroll with the best intentions of attending, but understand that a recording will be available if there is a scheduling conflict. Many of us have an email folder containing link after link after link of webinar recordings that we hope to watch one day, when we have the time.

And when learners do attend a live session, they automatically put themselves into a “listen only” mindset; intending to multitask their way through the session with the hope that they will pick up the important points. They don’t have an expectation that they need to participate to absorb the content.

Read More

Topics: Webinars, Social Learning, Microlearning, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

7 Orienteering Tips for Instructional Designers

Posted by Phylise Banner

Feb 23, 2017 12:00:00 PM

Instructional Design OrienteeringAs a Learning Experience Designer, my job requires that I navigate a complex landscape. Each new project that I work on involves different parameters, sends me down unique pathways, and sets up obstacles along the way. 

Even with many years of experience under my belt, I still find myself lost in this landscape at times. You may find yourself just as lost in your own work, too. As learning experience designers, we often work under compressed timelines and have to rely solely on our instincts and defined learning objectives to guide us toward a successful project outcomes.

It may surprise you to learn that the sport of orienteering (not your traditional instructional design resource) can provide us with some valuable guidance.

Read More

Topics: Instructional Design, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

Achievement Unlocked: A Powered-Up Understanding of Gamification

Posted by Dr. Stephen Slota

Feb 22, 2017 12:05:00 PM

Gamification in modern blended learningBack in 2010—right as I was beginning my career transition into instructional design—games emerged as the educational topic du jour. They commanded the attention of millions by way of social media apps like FarmVille, and touch-screen tablets made it possible for designers to reach audiences ranging much younger and older than ever before.

James Paul Gee’s (2007), What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy, had caught the eyes of experts in psychology, linguistics, communications, and digital media, and a new generation of games researchers began work to explain how and why games were so successful at capturing our attention (as well as the ways in which educators, business owners, medical professionals, politicians, and others could make use of said information).  

Read More

Topics: Gamification, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

Body Language In The Bandwidth

Would you like to receive this blog by email?

Follow InSync Training

eLearning Learning
TMN