InSync Training

Negotiating Blended Learning Gone Awry: 3 Approaches

Posted by Michele Israel on Feb 27, 2017 12:11:00 PM

Access Complete Modern Blended Learning Blog Series and Subscribe

Negotiating blended learning gone awry: 3 approachesYour blended learning course is set to go. You are certain that online and face-to-face elements are well aligned; the design engaging; and the content relevant. You're confident learners and instructors will greatly benefit from it.

So, what could possibly go wrong?

We know that any number of things can go awry. It's an expectation built into our work. Being prepared to tackle common challenges up front can make for higher quality blended learning opportunities.

There are three obstacles that I see as topping the list of blended learning challenges.

Read More

Topics: Blended learning, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

5 Steps to More Useful Webinars Using Microlearning & Social Networks

Posted by Jennifer Hofmann on Feb 24, 2017 12:15:00 PM

50149436_s.jpgWhen we introduce a new topic, we often start with a webinar. The ubiquitous technology and common virtual classroom delivery format seems to be an easy way to engage, and teach, a large audience in a short time.

We know the webinar format has its challenges. Generally, potential learners enroll with the best intentions of attending, but understand that a recording will be available if there is a scheduling conflict. Many of us have an email folder containing link after link after link of webinar recordings that we hope to watch one day, when we have the time.

And when learners do attend a live session, they automatically put themselves into a “listen only” mindset; intending to multitask their way through the session with the hope that they will pick up the important points. They don’t have an expectation that they need to participate to absorb the content.

Read More

Topics: Webinars, Social Learning, Microlearning, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

7 Orienteering Tips for Instructional Designers

Posted by Phylise Banner on Feb 23, 2017 12:00:00 PM

Instructional Design OrienteeringAs a Learning Experience Designer, my job requires that I navigate a complex landscape. Each new project that I work on involves different parameters, sends me down unique pathways, and sets up obstacles along the way. 

Even with many years of experience under my belt, I still find myself lost in this landscape at times. You may find yourself just as lost in your own work, too. As learning experience designers, we often work under compressed timelines and have to rely solely on our instincts and defined learning objectives to guide us toward a successful project outcomes.

It may surprise you to learn that the sport of orienteering (not your traditional instructional design resource) can provide us with some valuable guidance.

Read More

Topics: Instructional Design, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

Achievement Unlocked: A Powered-Up Understanding of Gamification

Posted by Dr. Stephen Slota on Feb 22, 2017 12:05:00 PM

Gamification in modern blended learningBack in 2010—right as I was beginning my career transition into instructional design—games emerged as the educational topic du jour. They commanded the attention of millions by way of social media apps like FarmVille, and touch-screen tablets made it possible for designers to reach audiences ranging much younger and older than ever before.

James Paul Gee’s (2007), What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy, had caught the eyes of experts in psychology, linguistics, communications, and digital media, and a new generation of games researchers began work to explain how and why games were so successful at capturing our attention (as well as the ways in which educators, business owners, medical professionals, politicians, and others could make use of said information).  

Read More

Topics: Gamification, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

Keeping it Real - Ensuring Virtual Learner Success Through Assessment

Posted by Karen Vieth on Feb 21, 2017 12:01:00 PM

55676429_s.jpgThe art in design is that of keeping learners accountable in authentic assessment that ensures students' success in the virtual classroom.  We know learners attain more when given the ability to learn in authentic ways, but we believe that assessment is a key piece in the art of keeping learners accountable. 

Last week in my blog we talked about keeping it about the people, interacting, providing opportunities to collaborate and how to hold learners accountable. Easy to say! Right?

But how do we REALLY maintain a culture of accountability without the benefit of eye contact and body language?  There is a real need for accountability when we ask participants to go out and do an independent and/or collaborative activity, but often in the virtual classroom we can’t find the way so we just instruct them or skip it all together. 

Read More

Topics: Virtual Classroom - Instructional Design, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs, Assessment

How to Use Content to Evaluate Your New Training Initiative

Posted by Katie Flanagan on Feb 20, 2017 12:00:00 PM

Measuring and Evaluating TrainingWhen you’re implementing a new training initiative, one of the first questions your sponsor will ask is, "How will you measure the success of your program?" 

For many, this may incite a rapid heartbeat, flushed skin, and sweaty palms. After all, measuring any training is difficult, and figuring out what will be appropriate measurement for a new program is complex.

The good news is that content makes it easy for you to measure several of the common key performance indicators of training effectiveness.

Read More

Topics: Content Creation, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

3 Free Apps for Supporting Learning After Training Events

Posted by JD Dillon on Feb 17, 2017 12:05:00 PM

Learning after Training The most important part of training is what happens AFTER the training. Reality (aka science) dictates that people can only ingest and retain so much information, regardless of how well-designed a learning activity may be. Then, given the relative unpredictability of the modern workplace, employees may or may not have immediate opportunities to apply their new knowledge when they get back on the job.

Therefore, L&D strategy cannot stop at delivery. Rather, we must embed continuous learning opportunities within the employee workflow and provide just-in-time support for those who need it. 

Read More

Topics: Mobile Learning, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

Exploring Augmented and Virtual Reality EdTech Tools and Apps

Posted by Phylise Banner on Feb 16, 2017 12:10:00 PM

VIrtual Reality Augemented Reality EdTech Last week, we looked at assessment and evaluation EdTech tools and apps. This week, we continue our series by diving deeper into augmented and virtual reality tools and apps. 

These tools and apps enable us to create immersive learning experiences for our learners. Simulations have been around for a long time, but newer tools and apps enable us to engage our learners in immersive experiences on a much lower budget. What was once a highly segmented toolset is now available for us to explore and integrate into our toolboxes!

Read More

Topics: EdTech, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

The Modern Learning Makerspace

Posted by Phylise Banner on Feb 15, 2017 10:00:00 AM

The Art of Praxis

Modern Learning Makerspace I have been seeing the word “praxis” a lot these days, associated with a few different definitions. To me, the essence of the word, is application – the application of theory to practice. Definitions include examples of practice, and application of knowledge or skills. And, the word is said to have derived from the Greek word for “doing”.  

Applying theory, knowledge, or skills to practice is what we all aim to do, as modern blended learning practitioners. We use what we consider, know, and know how to do, to make learning happen.

I love making learning happen. I love the creative process just as much as the assembly process. I love creating and making learning come together.

Read More

Topics: Modern Learning, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

It Was Almost Like Being in a Real Class! Making Virtual Learning Real

Posted by Karen Vieth on Feb 14, 2017 12:05:00 PM

Virtual Classroom Facilitation Blended Learning In Jennifer Hofmann’s blog post, The Role of Virtual Classrooms in Modern Blended Learning, she states that the focus of virtual learning should be fundamentally on the learners, their experiences and their learning environments. And I agree. But I encourage you to expand that focus to include collaboration.

I believe it is the ability for learners within those experiences and learning environments to make connections, participate in collaborative efforts and tie back to real life and work situations that turns a webinar type session into a real lesson where learners are eager to come back for more. 

Read More

Topics: Virtual Classroom, Virtual Classroom - Facilitation, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs