As someone who has dedicated her entire career to live virtual classrooms, I have spent a lot of time talking about the need for interaction and collaboration, especially in the context of making a decision about whether to use virtual classrooms to deliver a particular piece of content. The (abbreviated) process for making this decision is:
- Validate your instructional goal and learning objectives – and make sure the ‘verbs’ in your objectives truly represent your desired outcome.
- Determine how you will assess that learners are reaching the desired level of mastery (meeting the learning objectives), keeping the following guidance in mind:
- If you can test it (or assess using a particular activity) online, you can teach it online.
- If you aren’t going to assess it, don’t bother teaching it.
- Determine the need for collaboration. Bringing learners together at the same time in the same place must help them meet the stated learning objectives. If it doesn’t, self-paced content is probably the way to go.
Virtual Classroom - Instructional Design,