InSync Training

Exploring Curation EdTech Tools and Apps

Posted by Phylise Banner on Mar 21, 2017 12:36:00 PM

Access InSync's complete 2017 “50  Modern Blended Learning Blogs" series here.  Subscribe for daily updates.

Content Curation EdTech for Modern LearningThe last (but not least) compartment in our EdTech toolbox is curation tools. We use these tools and apps to explore the web to find resources related to specific topics that we can save, reference or share out through other channels. In any modern blended learning program, a curation strategy can improve the outcomes for your learners.  

According to Anders Pink, curation for learning means:

• Finding the best content from multiple sources, usually external content.
  • Filtering it so only the most relevant content makes it through.
  • Sharing it with the right internal audiences, at the right time, in the right places.
  • Adding value to that content with commentary, context or organization.

Read More

Topics: EdTech, 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

What I learned About Modern Learning Writing 50 Blogs in 50 Days

Posted by Jennifer Hofmann on Mar 10, 2017 12:01:00 PM

Access InSync's complete 2017 “50  Modern Blended Learning Blogs" series here.  Subscribe for daily updates.

In early December, I had an idea. To me, it seemed to be a reasonable idea. InSync training was launching a new community of practice in March – the Blended Learning Hub -- and I wanted to emphasize how InSync Training is a credible expert in all things having to do with blended learning. So why not create 50 pieces of modern learning content and push them out to the learning universe? How hard could it be? Modern Learning Community Perpetual Learning

My team knows that when I say, “I’ve got an idea,"they probably need to clear their weekends. But, instead of panicking, the team bought into the idea that this would support our new learning initiative, and entice learning professionals to keep coming back to InSync for valuable insights.

How hard could this be? Harder than I thought.

Read More

Topics: 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs

3 Visions for the Future of EdTech

Posted by Phylise Banner on Mar 9, 2017 12:02:00 PM

Can we possibly know what the future holds? I don’t think we can, but we can certainly look to the horizon and consider what may be coming. We can use data, history, and recent trends to guide our forecasts. I am not a futurist, but I do see three distinct visions for the future of EdTech swirling around in the haze out there.Future of EdTech Educational Technology

The Connected Future

The Internet of Things (IoT) is real. Our homes talk to our phones, and our watches talk to our refrigerators. Our objects (wearable and embedded) are talking to each other – collecting and exchanging data. Machines connected to machines, constantly passing information back and forth. The Gartner Group published a study back in 2015 which estimated that 20 billion devices would be connected to the Internet of Things by 2020. Will we lose our human touch here? I don’t think so.

Read More

Topics: 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs, EdTech

Modern Learning Instructional Design: Strategies, Techniques, and Tech

Posted by Jennifer Hofmann on Mar 8, 2017 12:05:00 PM

Instructional Strategies EdTech Instructional TechniquesLet’s face it: strategic perpetual learning doesn’t just happen. To have an impact on individuals' personal learning paths, during and outside of formal blended learning campaigns, we need to anticipate the correct moments of learning need and embed content in the flow of work.

If we don’t, learners will find content on their own, and the L&D department will have no influence over the accuracy, or applicability, of the information. We won’t know what people need to learn, or if consistent messages are being shared across our learner population.

Read More

Topics: 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs, Instructional Design

Don't Bog Down Your Learners' Cognitive Load

Posted by Karin Rex on Mar 7, 2017 12:00:00 PM

Cognitive Load in Modern Learning When designing learning for virtual classrooms or a blended learning program, one of your primary missions is to capture and maintain the attention of your learners. 

This can be challenging in a space that is still new to many learners. Think about it: we are asking somebody to sit at a computer for one or more hours, and focus only on the content being taught.

It’s a little like putting a kid in an arcade with a bucket full of free quarters nearby and asking him to sit at a table and play Checkers with you. There are so many things calling to that person sitting at the computer: email, a newly downloaded phone app, streaming cat videos, etc.

Read More

Topics: 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs, Instructional Design

Partner With Your Learners

Posted by Julie Dirksen on Mar 6, 2017 2:05:00 PM

Partner with Modern LearnersGood interactive learning environments with individualized feedback can often be cost-prohibitive. It might be too expensive to integrate real interactivity into a blended learning program, or to develop good case studies, or to provide individualized and specific feedback for each learner. 

It turns out, however, you often have a highly intelligent, adaptive resource at your disposal – your own modern learners. With some thoughtful planning, you can incorporate learners' experiences and knowledge into your modern blended learning program. 

Read More

Topics: 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs, Modern Learning

3 Strategies for Prioritizing Your Own Learning Needs

Posted by Becky Rhea on Mar 3, 2017 12:05:00 PM

Learning Needs Personalized Learning As learning and training professionals, our job is to continually think about the learning needs of others. It can be tough to make time for our own learning, yet we know that our own professional growth depends on it, and we crave it.

How many times have you scanned through a learning blog and thought “I’d like to learn more about that.” And then what happens? Nothing. We get caught up in all our to dos and requests from other people, and we don’t carve out time for our own learning. 

Read More

Topics: 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs, personal learning

5 Gadgets and Gizmos on my EdTech Wish List

Posted by Phylise Banner on Mar 2, 2017 12:03:00 PM

Modern Learning EdTechAs a Learning Experience Designer, I am always promoting the theory and research behind the work that I do, and stressing that “it’s not about the technology." We create learning solutions that meet the needs of our learners through mindful approaches, not through technology. 

At the same time, I’m a geek. I love my tech, and I love how technology enables me to think differently about the learning experiences that I create for my clients. I’m always on the lookout for new EdTech, or any technology that I can shape to meet my instructional needs.

Read More

Topics: 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs, EdTech

4 Guiding Principles for Building Trust in Perpetual Learning Environments

Posted by Jennifer Hofmann on Mar 1, 2017 1:20:00 PM

Perpetual Learning Environment DesignNow more than ever we live in perpetual learning environments. In every waking moment, we are taking in and processing information – learning perpetually.  

Learning Experience Architects need to embrace this perpetual learning cycle, and consider it when designing blended learning campaigns. It’s easy to influence formal learning that takes place in traditional classroom settings, in virtual classrooms, and via required eLearning. The “Push Training Culture” is something we have mastered.

But how do we influence the “Pull Learning Culture,” and encourage learners to utilize content provided by Learning & Development?  

Read More

Topics: 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs, Perpetual Learning

Connecting the Dots - Keeping Learners Coming Back for More

Posted by Karen Vieth on Feb 28, 2017 12:04:00 PM

Connecting the Dots in Blended LearningHave you ever been afraid to let learners go on a break, or end one virtual lesson in a multi-part series, for fear they won’t come back?  You’re not alone.  At one time or another all face-to-face and virtual facilitators have thought, “What if they don’t come back?”

My answer to that is, “What if they do?” 

What are you going to do to encourage learner engagement and keep participants interested during the live events? How do you keep learners happy and motivated during the time in between the live lessons? 

Read More

Topics: 50 Modern Blended Learning Blogs, Engagement